POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pile of sticks? : Re: Pile of sticks? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pile of sticks?
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 2 Oct 2003 19:39:48
Message: <3F7CB6BC.D5AFD70E@onwijs.com>
-s0da- wrote:

> well...what I'm actually trying to do is simulate brush laying
> in a metal torch type frame.
>
> So I guess detail wouldn't matter...I could probalby even
> just make a good enough texture/material that might work,
> as the flame will probably cancel out any detail of the sticks
> anyways.
>
> just wonderin' if someone else had already come up with
> (as you put it) some simple, elegant solution already.

So you want irregular shaped forms that may also bend and aren't lying
flat on the floor?
That should be possible of course but would probably take POV a couple
of  days to parse... ;)
By that time the torch will be burnt out ( - problem solved).

My idea would be to either take some irregularly placed cylinders (that
would be easy in a loop or macro) or make a torch that is built from
fairly straight twigs tied together (just a bunch of cylinders with
toruses).
Add some 'noise' and nobody will probably notice that you have defied
reality. 8)

Seriously: I don't think realism (either photographic or physical) makes
a great picture or animation... Reality can often be quite boring,
especially the aspects that are easy to recreate in a program like
POVRay ;)

Good luck,

Remco